The Baptistery of Pisa is another of the buildings that make up the monumental complex of Piazza del Duomo (or Square of Miracles). Its construction, begun in 1153, is the work of Diotisalvi, as evidenced by an inscription on a pillar inside, but many sculptures on the facade were made by Nicola Pisano and his son Giovanni. More and Nicola Pisano pulpit that features scenes from the life of Christ and subjects depicting The Virtues: all masterpieces that demonstrate how their creator has been one of the main precursors of the Renaissance. The outer dome covers only the inside turn of the pillars and probably the lack of money was the reason for which is made up of different materials (tiles and red lead plates); the same reason is attributed to the absence of frescoes on the ceiling, as provided in the original design. In any case, the Baptistery of Pisa is the largest baptistery in Italy.